Never a dull weekend here!
If you live in the South Jersey/Philadelphia Area here is my top 5 of what’s happening around town.
In no particular order. (though number one is pretty cool!)
1. Celebrate the last football game of the season, by not watching it! Let your kids bogey on down at Shampoo night club in Philadelphia, hosted by Baby loves Disco! The first Sunday of the month for the next four months Shampoo goes child-proof, transforming itself into a disco for hundreds of toddlers, preschoolers and parents to let loose. This afternoon dance party features a DJ blending classic disco tunes from the 70’s and 80′ ! Admission is, as they put it, $10 per walking human! (for more ideas on everything from music, to organic toys and everything in between check out Baby loves disco website. They have a cute video on the right hand side of their screen under video of the week. It’s from You Tube: The Backyardigans v. Fergalicious, it’ll help get you in the mood for a dance celebration!)
3. Does your toddler love cars and trucks as much as mine? I’d recommend a visit to the Philadelphia Car Show from February 2nd -10th at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.Tickets are just $10 for adults and kids 13 and over, $6 for kids 7-12 and kids 6 and under get in free. Sunday February 10th is Kids Day at Car show, kids 12 and under are free. The first 500 visitors to the Kidz Zone will receive a free coloring book. The Please Touch Museum and Kid-Fit will be on hand to host a variety of activities such as draw a dream car, license plate rubbing, wind up toy races and tattoos. Not bad!
3. Join the Please Touch Museum for their Junior Jazz Festival for the month of February. They will be presenting performance of Scat Cat’s Junior Jamboree, the story of an alley cat that falls upon a friend who teaches her the the history of Jazz and it’s greats! Kids can also dress up and perform on the jazz club stage. February 2nd and 3rd, they present the Arpeggio Jazz Ensemble.The kid-friendly concerts will perform every weekend in February. Check the website for a full schedule.
4. Celebrate Black History month with The Crayola Factory. Make diversity pins and write diversity essays. Also on tab, celebrate Jackson Pollock’s birthday by creating art with Crayola products in Pollock’s well known splatter technique!(lucky the mess doesn’t happen at your place) Save on your admission by bringing a canned good and receiving $1 off 1 admission. Also, this weekend pick a team, any team! Wear your favorite teams jersey and receive $2 off admission! ( I don’t know if the 2 offers can be combined but it’s worth a try!)
5. Don’t let the rain bog you down! Join the Discovery Museum for the Mardi Gras Carnaval!Learn about the history and traditions behind Brazil’s largest party as you create your own masks and join dancers as they lead you in a musical parade throughout the museum. The fun begins Friday, February 1st at 1:00 p.m.
Bonus #6. Don’t forget about the Philadelphia Zoo’s Pay the Weather promotion! I know we have a nice weekend on tap with temps in the high 40’s and sunny. Visit the zoo and pay just $4 per admission for temps in the 40’s! Gotta love it!